What chemicals turn pennies into gold
All you need to make gold pennies is sodium hydroxide (also known as lye), zinc powder, a small glass beaker with some MORE? [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-chemicals-turn-pennies-into-gold ]
More Answers to “What chemicals turn pennies into gold“
- What chemicals turn pennies into gold
- All you need to make gold pennies is sodium hydroxide (also known as lye), zinc powder, a small glass beaker with some MORE?
- How to turn a penny into gold with common chemicals?
- This science experiment will show you how to turn a penny into gold with common chemicals. This video tutorial will demonstrate turning the copper penny into a silver penny and into a gold cent. All you need to make gold pennies is sodium h…
- What chemicals are needed to make pennies gold/silver-colored??
- Dissolve a gold or silver compound in water and run an electric current from the penny through the solution. The gold or silver ions will stick to the penny if the electric current and voltage is right. I think you only need 1 to 2 volts, s…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How did these students turn lead into “gold”? (read the details)?
- Q: A friend of mine was taking first-year chemistry. Their very first experiment was to turn “lead into gold,” to get the students interested in chemistry. They turned some sort of lead a golden color. No, not actually gold, but it looked like it. (This was NOT the bronze/zinc penny lab exercise!!!) My question is, what was this experiment? Has anyone heard of this? What were the chemicals, and how did they do it?
- A: Oh, my students always do this in their practical questions.Pb(2+) ions combine with I(-) ions to form an insoluble yellow precipitate of lead(II) iodide. Here’s the trick:Lead (II) iodide dissolves in hot water and is recrystallised on cooling to form golden yellow crystals.Chemicals:Lead (II) nitrate(aq), Hydroiodic acid(aq)Please do not use chemicals with anions sulphate, hydroxide, chlorides (form insoluble white ppt, i think you will know that)