What is the penny made up of
Penny is not what you think. Indeed, from 1783 to 1837, a cent was pure copper. But newer pennies are made mostly of zinc. ChaCha [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-penny-made-up-of ]
More Answers to “What is the penny made up of“
- What is the penny made up of
- Penny is not what you think. Indeed, from 1783 to 1837, a cent was pure copper. But newer pennies are made mostly of zinc. ChaCha
- What are pennies made out of?
- Pennies are made out of copper. Interestingly, it costs more to make a penny than what the penny is actually worth. Some say the United States should remove the penny from our money.
- How can you tell the make up of the 1982 penny.
- There is no easy way to see the difference between the copper and zinc types on the coins. I start …
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- What is the penny made of, I know it’s not made up of copper?
- A: Years Mass Diameter Composition1864 to 1942 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Copper and 5.0% Zinc & Tin (bronze mix)——————————————————————————–1943 2.70 g 19 mm Steel with Zinc coating——————————————————————————–1944 to 1946 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Copper and 5.0% Zinc & Tin (bronze mix)——————————————————————————–1947-1962 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Copper and 5.0% Zinc & Tin (bronze mix)——————————————————————————–1963-1982 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Cu and 5.0% Zinc——————————————————————————–1983-Present 2.50 g 19 mm 97.5% Zinc and 2.5% Copper (20% lighter
- i heard on news, pennies made up to 1985 are worth 4.4 cents. is it true, and where can we sell them at?
- Q: I heard of this on a Fox26 Channel, a Houston Texas tv channel. but that’s all i remember. i need to know more details, and where can i find more information on this? i have a friend who’s interested, but all i know is what i heard on the news… pennies made in 1985 and before are worth 4.4 cents, and then the news was off for the evening. I’d be happy if anyone could help me on this.
- A: It also costs $.08 to make a nickel. Pennies are not worth the metal they are made of. However, now that this has become general knowledge, the government has enacted laws against melting down US coinage for the raw metals. I don’t recall what they said the penalties would be.
- what material are the ppost 1982 pennies are made up of? the pre 1982?
- A: pre 1982 3.2 grams 95% copper and 5% zincpost 1982 2.5 grams 5% copper and 95% zinc