What metal are coins made out of
In today’s circulating coins, copper is the only one of the metals still used. Also use are nickel and zinc. ChaCha on! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-metal-are-coins-made-out-of ]
More Answers to “What metal are coins made out of“
- What metal are coins made out of
- In today’s circulating coins, copper is the only one of the metals still used. Also use are nickel and zinc. ChaCha on!
- What metal is the nickel coin primarily made of??
- Nickel coins are primarily made up of copper..around 75% to be more precise. The balance is – surprise, surprise – nickel! Rising copper prices though mean that the metal that makes up the nickel coin is at this time anyway, in itself worth…
- Why are coins made out of metal?
- The original concept since Roman times was for the value of the coin to be the metal content, usually silver and gold. Plus silver and gold are relatively soft and easy to mint into coins. Coins have been made of other metals, including ste…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- What metal are Irish Pre-decimal Penny coins made out of?
- Q: I think it’s either brass or copper, but I cannot tell.Here’s a picture of an uncirculated coin:http://homepage.eircom.net/~andrewjl/IRI…Any help is appreciated.Thanks!
- A: They’re bronze, a copper alloy.
- What material/metal are AU coins made of?
- Q: I need a penny for an experiment of sorts, but i have never seen a penny in my life! I figure a coin made out of any of the same/similar material will work just as good, so can anyone shine a little light on what Australian coins are made of? Thanks
- A: 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are 75% copper and 25% nickel. $1 and $2 coins are made from aluminium bronze, which is 92% copper, 6% aluminium and 2% nickel.There was also a kind of round 50c coin for a while, which was made of 80% silver, but they took it out of circulation after the price of the silver became higher than the value of the coin. The old 1c and 2c coins were mostly copper; about 97%. The rest would be zinc and a little tin.
- what metal were ancient spartan coins made out of?
- A: I think it’s thought to be iron. At least Plutarch says Lycurgus abolished silver and gold coinage and used iron, though on the other hand it’s not thought that there was any coinage at his time…read below