When cold and flu season strikes, you want to be ready with the best remedies. These illnesses afflict many people every year and there is no cure, but there are things you can do to help when symptoms strike. With all the advice out there on cold and flu, these are some of the best strategies in keeping those illnesses at bay.
1. Frequent hand washing is the best thing you can do to prevent yourself from getting a flu or cold. Children love foaming soap and will wash more readily when they enjoy it. Encourage family members to wash up as soon as they get home so they can’t bring home any unwanted germs with them.
2. Use Airborne. Parents and teachers alike swear by it. It boosts your immune system and can keep you from getting sick.
3. Get a flu shot. Many people are affected each year by the flu, and this could have been prevented by having had a flu shot.
4. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. They have vitamins and antioxidants that help boost the immune system. When a cold does strike, some of the best foods to take are chicken soup, 7UP, Jell-O, grilled cheese, PB&J, and tomato soup.
5. Keep cold and flu supplies on hand. Stock up on honey (a spoonful will help an itchy throat), cold medicine, orange juice (high in Vitamin C), and ingredients for homemade chicken soup. Keep a box of tissues in every room in the house and have some sprite in storage.
6. Nyquil is really good at alleviating cold symptoms.
7. Lysol disinfectant spray really does help keep the germs down. Use it to disinfect bathroom surfaces several times a day, doorknobs at least once a day, as well as tabletops, surfaces, chairs and toys. Do this on a regular basis.
8. Hand sanitizer is a great way to keep from taking germs home with you and in preventing you from getting sick. Place some in your car, purse, kitchen, and in your children’s backpacks. Use the disinfectant wipes that grocery stores provide to wipe down the cart. Avoid indoor playgrounds during flu season when your children are most susceptible.
9. Finally, stay at home! When you are sick, the best things you can do is stay at home and get rest. Drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest and you’ll be on your way back to better health.