In Guyana we call chick peas channa or chana. In other parts of the world, they are referred to as garbanzo beans. Whatever you call them, these peas are a legume high in protein with roots in the Middle East. One easy and delicious way to prepare chick peas is to make a hummus dish.
Hummus can be served with pitas, crackers, tortilla chips or any kind of bread. This dish takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to make. The great thing about good hummus is that it can be considered as an appetizer, a dip or a main meal. Although hummus is now readily and inexpensively available in most metropolitan area supermarkets, making it yourself ensures the highest quality for your best health.
You can customize your hummus to suit your tastes. Some people add fish or chicken but most people that I know leave it as a vegetarian dish. You can also garnish your hummus with black olives, red or green peppers, grilled onions, boiled eggs, parsley, pine nuts, tomatoes, jalapenos or cilantro. This recipe is for a basic hummus dish.
Yummy Hummus Ingredients
2 cans of chick peas
A dash of seasoned salt
A dash of black pepper
2 1/2 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 cup water 1/4 cup tahini sauce
A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
Extra-virgin olive oil
What to Do
1. Be sure to drain and rinse the chick peas. If you can buy salt free that would be ideal.
2. You’re going to need a blender or a food processor. I know someone who tried to make hummus in a juicer, bad idea. I also know people with a good mixing arm who can mix up hummus without benefit of a blender but a processor is the best way to go.
3. Add all of your ingredients to your blender and blend.
4. Put the pureed mix into a great bowl. Garnish with your choice of enhancements.
5. Add your chips, pita bread or crackers and enjoy!
More from this Contributor
Aphrodisiacs: A Sexy Guide for Women and Men
Cranberry Mango Pineapple Sauce Recipe
Eating Better in 2012: Can Juicing Your Vegetables Lead to Better Health?