When spring arrives we want to add something special to our cooking. These two simple recipes are fun to cook and will make everyone smile.
This recipe makes 2 loaves so you can give one to a neighbor or friend and keep one for your family. When my neighbor’s family finished their loaf her kids came over to eat ours.
You will need 2 8×4 loaf pans (well greased and floured) and 2 medium to large bowls
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. each of salt, baking soda and baking power
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Add together all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Blend together well.
2. Combine is a separate bowl eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar. Beat well until thoroughly blended.
3. Add in the dry ingredients and beat well. Take your time, you want it smooth and well blended.
4. Stir in the zucchini and walnuts and stir in well.
5. Pour into loaf pans and bake for 40 – 60 minutes.
6. Cool for 20 minutes before taking loaves out of the pans. Continue cooling.
Once you have the ingredients together the mixing is quick. Now you have time for the second spring treat.
Rice Krispie® Cakes
Kids love to help with this recipe. They make a mess but they have so much fun.
You will need 1 13x9x2 cooking pan, a large saucepan and a buttered or silicone spatula.
6 cups of rice cereal (Rice Krispies®)
3 Tsp. butter
1 10 ounce bag of regular marshmallows or 4 cups of miniature marshmallows
1. Melt the butter in the saucepan over low heat.
2. Add the marshmallows and warm until completely melted
3. Add in the rice cereal and mix until well coated
4. With the spatula press the mixture into the coated pan
5. Let cool before cutting into 2″ squares
Enjoy Spring and bring smiles to your family and friends.