Does eating turkey make you sleepy
Turkey does contain L-tryptophan, an essential amino acid with a documented sleep inducing effect. ChaCha on! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/does-eating-turkey-make-you-sleepy ]
More Answers to “Does eating turkey make you sleepy“
- It can. Cooked poultry contains tryptophan, a chemical that causes drowsiness. It’s the same chemical in hot milk that makes a person drowsy.
- You’ve been looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner all year — turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Mmm-mmm! But after you finish that second helping of turkey with gravy, you start to feel a little sleepy. As your Uncl…
- Not on its own. Recent studies suggest that carbohydrate-rich meals may cause sleepiness by increasing the amount of tryptophan in the brain. So the unusually large, multi-course, carbohydrate-rich meal that most people eat on Thanksgiving …
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Does eating turkey really make you sleepy?
- Q: I once heard a saying that if you ate turkey, it made you sleepy, is it true?
- A: Oh, yes! There is something called tryptophan that is a natural sedative in turkey. This is why you see a lot of men sleeping after thanksgiving dinner! Women too!:)
- does anyone know why you feel sleepy after eating turkey on Thanksgiving? Is it just that you’re full?
- Q: Someone told me that there is a natural product in turkey that makes you feel sleepy after eating it….true or myth?
- A: TURKEY HAS NATURALLY OCCURING TRYPTOPHANS, AND THOSE WILLMAKE YOUSLEEPY. sOME YEARS BACK, THEY TOOK TRYTOPHAN OFF THE SHELVES OF HEALTH FOOD STORES AS TAKING IT IN DOSE FORM WAS KILLING SOME PEOPLE WHO USED IT REGULARLY. BUT IN TURKEY IT;S OK. SWEET DREAMS
- Why does eating turkey make you feel sleepy?
- Q: Aside from eating A LOT of Turkey and A LOT of food on Thanksgiving, it always makes me VERY tired!
- A: Interesting that you should ask. I was watching the Today Show yesterday and they were speaking on how eating turkey releases serotonin in the brain that is why so many people get sleepy after eating it.Hope that helps. Now I have to go take a nap.