Define the disease consumption
Consumption is an old name for tuberculosis (TB) that describes how the illness wastes away or consumes its victims.. MORE? [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/define-the-disease-consumption ]
More Answers to “Define the disease consumption“
- What was the disease consumption
- Consumption is another word for tuberculosis and is a progressive wasting away of the body especially from pulmonary tuberculosis.
- What is the disease consumption?
- This disease has been around for a very long time. The consumption disease is what we know today as Tuberculosis. They called it consumption disease because the people who have this illness their bodies would wast away. This can effect any …
- How widespread is the disease tuberculosis??
- Tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (TB) is a contagious and potentially fatal disease that can affect almost any part of the body but manifests mainly as an infection of the lungs. Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The organism that causes tuberculosis, …
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- I need this disease or mental disorder defined…?
- Q: in which the afflicted will obsessively believe that they can consume/eat words. It typically manifests in the writing of words and the consumption of the paper. The actual name of this would be greatly appreciated! Any searches on google just result in ‘eating disorders,’ and various ways of entering it into search have come up with nothing.*It is not a form of another disease. It is the obsession with the consumption of the LANGUAGE, not the material the language manifests itself on.**I have seen the definition and cannot recall it, I have used it in the past and I assure you, it is a disease unto itself. I apologize if I seem brash, but I know for a fact it is its own disorder, and I am only needing its specific name.
- A: To be honest, I’m not sure, but I don’t think there is a specific disorder defined by this. I think it would only fall under the pica category (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder) ) and the reasoning behind it being the consumption of words, is some type of delusion or idiosyncrasy causing the pica.Uhm, why is it not possible for it to be a form of another disease?Pica is often associated with OCD, which can cause compulsions and even delusional intrusive thoughts, both of which can cause someone to think they’re actually consuming an idea or thought, which is essentially what a word is in physical form, which would indeed fall under the pica category of eating a non food substance. I highly do not think there is a specific disorder for this, due to the fact that this is such a niche area, and certainly rare. Just giving you my thoughts on it.
- can someone help me on my speech which is due on Saturday?? pleasee…?
- Q: here is my speech outlines, let me know if i did a good or bad or worse job and also explain how do i go up there and say all this in 5 to 7 mins talking. :(General purpose: To persuadeSpecific purpose: To persuade my audience to eat healthy food and exercise daily. Central Idea: Obesity is among all ages, races and ethnic groups which can be prevented. I.Attention/Introduction: How many times have you or one of your friends said, “I’m too fat; I need to lose weight”. If you are like most people, you are concerned about what you weigh, but at what point does being overweight present a health risk? Under standard issued by the Nation Institute of Health (NIH), a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above is classified as obese. To find you BMI if you’re an appropriate range of healthy weight, go to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm. Obesity is a chronic disease that affects 10 million children and claims about 300,000 American lives each year. Obesity may not be an infectious disease, but has reached the epidemic proportions in the U.S.II.Problem: Obesity is growing in the United States. A.More than one third of US adults over 72 million people were obese in 2005-2006. (CDC)B.According to the government about 66 percent of American adults are now overweight or obese and the figure will reach 100 percent by 2048. (Flawed logic in obesity forecast by NY Times article)C.Those who are obese about 40 or more pounds over a healthy weight maybe cutting about three years off their lives. (NY Times article)D.Those who are extremely obese, about 100 or more pounds over a healthy weight, could be shortening their lives by as many as 10 years. (NY Times article)E.A person with body mass index between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered healthy. (Core Concept book, page 250)F.A person with BMI of 25 or above is classified as overweight. (Core Concept book, Page 250)G.A person with BMI of 30 or above is classified as obese. (Core Concept book page 250)H.On average, treating an obese person cost 1,244 dollars more in 2002 than treating a healthy-weight person did. (USAtoday.com)I.The Centers for disease control and prevention showed that obese and overweight Americans racked up about $75 billion in weight related medical bills in 2003. (USAtoday.com)J.Obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death. (“obesity is a disease” article from BMCC library)K.Obesity has been established as a major risk for hypertension, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers in both men and women. (“obesity is a disease”)IIIProblem: Diseases once thought of as adult onset, including obesity are now affecting children. A.Childhood Obesity has doubles the last 20 years. ( BMCC library “parents responsibility”)B.One in five children is either overweight or obese. (BMCC library “parents responsibility”)C.Children are eating more calories than they are expending.(BMCC library parents” responsibility”)D.The rise in the number of hours children sit in front of the television or computer, the increase in soda consumption, the lack of physical education in schools have all attributed to the obesity epidemic. (BMCC library “Parents responsibility”)E. Obese children and adolescents are at risk for health problems during their youth and as adults. For example, during t heir youth, obese children and adolescents are more likely to have risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes than are normal weight healthy children and adolescents. (CDC article)F.Obese children and adolescents are more likely to become obese as adults. For example, one study found that approximately 80% of children who were overweight at ages 10-15 years were obese adults at age 25 years. (CDC article)G.For children and adolescents ages (2-19 years) overweight is defined as a BMI at or above 85th percentile and lower than the 95th percentile.(CDC article)H.Obesity is defined as a BMI at or above the 95th percentile for children of the same age and sex. (CDC article)IV.Solution: we must eat healthy and get physical activities every day.A.Adults need to stop going to the fast food restaurants, such as McDonalds. Fast food chains began campaigning healthier food such as their salads and fruit cups. However salads may sound healthy, but a Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken from McDonald’s has 320 calories and 90 grams of fat. Where’s the “healthy” in that? B.Parents should play role in fighting childhood obesity because children look to their parents as role models and therefore it is important that parents should adopt habits so their children can learn from it, such as liking fruits and vegetables, snacking only when hungry and making a conscious effort to eat low fat and low caloric food and drinking a lot of water instead of soda. Remember, the health of the baby starts in the womb. There is 80 percent of ris
- A: That’s a lot of words up there. Kelly’s right, print it out, stand up and read it…time yourself. You’ll be surprised. And careful–obesity is a risky topic…lets say there’s a 300 lb person in the audience. How is he going to feel?Also, this isn’t an outline. It reads like the speech. How do you plan on saying “go to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs….” are you actually going to read all those letters? Are you going to mention McDonalds by name? What if there’s a local big shot from McDonalds in the audience? What if he is sponsoring the luncheon at which you are speaking? Oops, big blush.
- I don’t know what to do with myself…?
- Q: I want to get this out there, for I cannot speak with anyone about this face-to-face. I am 23 years old. I have never been kissed, nor had a girlfriend. I only have 3 members of my entire family left. I do believe my grandmother is developing Alzheimer’s disease; very hard to watch her juggling through names, hoping to land the right one.Surprisingly, I am completely comfortable with the above mentioned to an extent. I go to the gym with a friend to keep in shape. I used to have superior hygiene. I have a good job, and planning on going to college in the fall to study Psychology. I want to help people. Help someone smile a true smile. I have been told all my life to pursue this area of study by close family and close friends. Given my Aquarian nature, I am fascinated by difference.It took minimal effort to make top of the class. Making the honor’s society seemed more another day than a day of reward. Completely indifferent, I accepted award after award. Until high school.My mother had a fling with a guy while still married to my father. She said she didn’t do anything. Not being able to prove or disprove, I let it go. Because of this, I began to view women through a more cynical lens. My father shortly found out about my mother’s guy friend.My father had a history of drug abuse. If he quit one, he’d move on to the other. He and my mother remained married, however. He was always defined physically, went to work, etc. Later on, he seemed to just let himself go. My mother remained at the other extreme by maintaining herself through proper eating habits. Some later, money issues occurred. He tried to endure this as long as he could. Unfortunately, he began to drink. More and more. I never got a long with him, but I never really had any huge outstanding with him besides the occasional argument. His alcohol consumption progressed, as well as his shortening of temper. Once I loaned him some money on the promise of his paying it back the following week. I demanded my money for 2. On the third week of asking, I was given a beating in the kitchen. I did not fight back because he was my father. I was 19 at the time.Shortly after, my mother and little sister moved out. My brother and I remained in the house with my father. What a sight that was. The house went to oblivion. Conversation was nil between my father and I. The only converse we had were filled with profanities.Of all the arguments, I rememeber one vividly. He told me that I was going to die alone. After doing so, he insisted they will urinated on my grave. I denied this, of course. Ensuring him he was the one. After a short while, my brother and I moved in with our mother and sister to a place unknown to our father. As we were moving out, he just stared into a blank computer screen, tearing. My brother hugged him and told him to get better (he had developed alcoholism). I said and did nothing but hauled away our belongings.A month later, we returned, to find him on the floor, sick. His skin imbued with a yellow tint and hair that had not been washed. We all sat for a long time, talking. About how good things were back then. I admitted I wanted him to get better, hugged him goodbye. He had told us he would go back into rehab for the 4th time and come out clean.Another month went by, and my brother and I returned. His face was buried in the couch, knees on the floor. We had to try like heII getting him up. The house was in complete disarray. I got the mail from an overloaded mailbox. Gazing through the mail, I opened a letter of termination from a job he had been working for over 15 years. I asked him why he wasn’t in rehab, only to be retorted with an “I’m going.” Enraged, I crumbled the paper, threw it in his face. Called him a piece of Sh_t, and left. A few days later, my sister and I were talking when my mother calls to declare my father’s death. He had been dead 3 days before anyone found out. Alone, he died. I didn’t feel anything at first. I told my brother. Still nothing. My head started rushing with thoughts. My body then crippled and I have never cried harder in my life. I never got to tell him I was sorry. I hate myself everyday for this. My brother has almost died twice. He overdosed on some pills and collapsed in an electronics store. He almost died once again from drinking. He has a job, a good one as well. I try to make life better at home for the rest of us, but it feels so empty.My brother and I were always close, and yet I cannot make mention of this to him. I tried to buy everything in the book for my mother, sister, and brother for Christmas, hoping to make life a little better. A failed attempt, for I still feel like I want to just disappear.I have lived with bi-polar my whole life. I have always thought about hurting people since I can remember. Even in kindergarten, I would daydream about causing misfortune to others. I killed a pet when I was 5 years old. I still fe
- A: wow sounds like u need a therapist but if u just want someone to talk to im here…just send me an email