What does it mean if the thyroid is swollen
Most cases of a swollen thyroid are caused by an inadequate intake of iodine. But a swollen thyroid might be caused from other problems such as thyroiditis, pregnancy, Hashimoto’s disease, and Graves’ disease. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-does-it-mean-if-the-thyroid-is-swollen ]
More Answers to “What does it mean if the thyroid is swollen“
- What does it mean if the thyroid is swollen
- Most cases of a swollen thyroid are caused by an inadequate intake of iodine. But a swollen thyroid might be caused from other problems such as thyroiditis, pregnancy, Hashimoto’s disease, and Graves’ disease.
- What does ist mean when you have swollen thyroid glands??
- A goiter. Typically, the thyroid swells like most glands due to the lack of a particular mineral it requires and also infection. These things can cause the thyroid to enlarge, speed up, slow down, etc. Iodine is the necessary mineral that i…
- What does it mean to have a swollen thyroid gland?
- All it is ,is a swollen glands you can go to the dr in there will put you on an anibotic to get it down if it get bigger then they made have to take them out my son has one he had it for 7 mo but they said it aint nothing to worry about onl…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- I went to the Dr. and have a swollen thyroid. What does this mean?
- Q: I went to the Dr. and have a swollen thyroid. What does this mean? I didn’t expect that. Whenever I type “swollen thyroid” in to yahoo. I get Thyroid Cancer. Has anyone ever had experiences with this? He didn’t say a lump on my thyroid, he said swollen. He is ordering an Ultra Sound to determine what is going on but I wanted to hear from people what their experiences are with this. Any RN’s or Docs out there would be great. If it is a sign of cancer, you can tell me. I am not scared of it. Also, I am a 35 year old female.
- A: The rarest cause of a swollen thyroid (technically called a goiter) is cancer. Don’t worry about that unless the doctor says to worry, after you’ve been testedMore common causes of goiter are non-cancerous nodules, and even more common is congenital, idiopathic, or auto-immune hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. You really should be having blood tests along with your ultrasound to see if you have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. If you have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, you need further blood tests to determine the cause. At that point is when most people get their ultrasound, so you are ahead of the curve in that regard. But if you have not had blood tests yet, you need to get moving.
- What does it mean if your cervical lymph glands are swollen?
- Q: a couple of yrs ago i started to feel like my throat was changing, i felt a swelling around the lower part of my throat where the thyroid is. at that time i was sick/ nightweats/ high bp. my dr gave me a cbc felt my neck said nothing was wrong. now i feel like i haveswollen glands down both sides of my neck. i googled the location it looks like the cervical glands (from below the ear down diagonal to the front of my throat). i am planning to go get an xray or mri but i want to know what it means when these are swollen for months.
- A: Cervical lymph nodes enlargement usually indicate recent or ongoing infection (upper respiratory tract infections, strep pharingitis, mono, tb, etc). If your lymph nodes hurt, then it probably lymphadenitis. Not to scare you, but it may also be a symptom of something malignant like lymphoma. In lymphoma, lymphadenopathy is most of the time accompanied by fever, unexplained weight loss and malaise.If its just lymphanenopathy, then it probably benign. Go see a doctor first before you have any xray or mri done.
- My thyroid has been swollen on the left side for about a week, my Dr. first wanted me to do a thyroid scan?
- Q: Now she’s not 100% if it’s my thyroid that is swollen or a very, VERY close lymph node. She said it is at about 2-3 cm. just one large nodlue. She now want’s me to have a contrast CT scan tomorrow before we move on. Should I get a second opinion? Should I just have the thyroid scan done? I mean, I’ll have to get the throid scan done if it turn’s out to be my thyroid and then I just wasted 1,700 dollar’s! I’m really confused! What would you do? Also- She said her best guess is that with the size it is and with it appearing in a matter of an hour after being sick for a week and then with some of the swelling having gone down, it is either a lymph node infection OR a thyroid cyst. But there is a need to still rule out cancer.*Really confused now*
- A: I am not sure about the price, but the ultrasound will be accurate enough to tell, if this is thyroid cyst or swollen lymph node.If the swelling moves up as you swallow it can be originated from thyroid.