Why are vultures bald
The vulture’s bald head allows it to plunge into all sorts of carcasses, and come out clean. Without feathers to serve as a habitat for all the bacteria that infests their meals, vultures soar through their lives disease-free. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-are-vultures-bald ]
More Answers to “Why are vultures bald“
- Why are vultures bald?
- Local baldness is a trait carried in many species of birds, including macaws (on the eye area), buzzards, and bald eagles. Buzzards are also carrion feeders and they’re probably in the second-cousin range of vultures, so the baldness would …
- Why do vultures have bald heads?
- To put their head and neck easier inside the animal corpses they eat.
- How to Tell the Difference Between a Soaring Turkey Vulture and B…?
- High-flying turkey vultures and bald eagles can look very similar to us ground dwellers. Here is a fool-proof way to tell the difference between them. No binoculars needed!
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Why are vultures bald?
- A: Local baldness is a trait carried in many species of birds, including macaws (on the eye area), buzzards, and bald eagles. Buzzards are also carrion feeders and they’re probably in the second-cousin range of vultures, so the baldness would have come from a common ancestor, and for the obvious reasons already listed, ancestors that weren’t bald probably didn’t have much of a chance to breed for very long before they died.
- about birds?
- Q: i’m wondering why vultures are bald
- A: Because they think there “slick”…..lolSeriously here is the reasonThere is an important purpose to the vulture’s bald head. When the vulture is eating carrion, it must often stick its head inside the carcass to reach the meat. A feathery head would capture unwanted pieces of the vulture’s meal, along with all the bacteria it hosts. After mealtime, the turkey vulture perches in the heat of the sun. Here, whatever has managed to cling to the few bits of fuzz on their head will be baked off once and for all.
- Why are republicans against gay marriage, but not against the bald eagle as the national bird?
- Q: Leviticus 11:13 — “Of the birds, these you shall loathe and, as loathsome, they shall not be eaten: the eagle, the vulture, the osprey…”Republicans use Leviticus as the reason why homosexulaity is wrong, so why do they openly sin by accepting the eagle as the national bird, even though it clearly goes against the Lords word?It says “you shall loathe”
- A: It’s called cherry-picking. You select the parts that accommodate you and leave out the rest. That’s why they ignore Jesus’ warning to love your neighbor.But you can’t reason with someone who doesn’t think logically. So really there’s no point in arguing with them.And I’m just going to respond to that other guy here:”By definition marriage is between a man and a woman and has been recognized as this for over 2000 years and now a few liberals want to change the definition to meet their own agenda.”It’s more than a few liberals. Read the news. Really, it’s just a few conservatives who oppose it. The thing is, most people who vote are conservative, so.”marriage has to be consumated and how do gays go about doing that? How are gays supposed to have children which is the main purpose of marriage. Marriage is a contract between two people for the purpose to combine economic reasource and to create a home environment to rear and raise children (future generations of productive citizens).”Then what you’re saying is, unfertile couples should not exist either?BTW there’s plenty orphans in the world for gay couples to adopt.”Why are Libs so for gay marriage when not that many gays are shouting for it? Gay marriage has been legalized in 2 states and out side the first few weeks very few ceremonies have been done. Why is that? Where is the polling data for this? We have polls for what is your favorite color of toliet paper but not gays for or against it. Why is that? gay marriage is also an attack on the main stream so the fringe can be accepted as a norm which gayness is not.”The biggest compilation of false statements I have seen today.Gays ARE shouting for it.The number of gay marriages may be low compared to the number of straight couples, but that’s only because the openly LGTB community makes up barely 10% of the total population. A HUGE percentage of gay couples have tied the note.Those polls do exist.Interracial marriage was also thought of as an attack on traditions. Same with marrying someone of a different religion. There are still many people who think that way.You need to get out more and read the newspapers, instead of making wishful statements that are in direct contradiction of the facts.But like I said before, it’s pointless to argue with people like you so whatever.