Why is Omega 3 Fatty Acid beneficial to the body
Omega 3 Fatty Acids are thought to protect the body against heart disease. Thanks for asking ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-is-omega-3-fatty-acid-beneficial-to-the-body ]
More Answers to “Why is Omega 3 Fatty Acid beneficial to the body“
- Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids Really Beneficial to Your Body??
- In this article I will perform a fish oil supplements review. Are omega-3 fatty acids really worth your money? Many people wonder and cannot make up their minds whether they should invest money every month on omega-3 fatty acid supplemen…
- How do omega-3 fatty acids benefit the body?
- Research has shown omega-3s to be critical to joint, respiratory and cardiovascular health, normal cholesterol, HDL and triglyceride levels. As the scientific evidence mounts, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has cautiously approved th…
- What do Omega-3 fatty acids do for the body?
- The Omega-3’s EPA and DHA are recognized for their health benefits in all life stages. They are important building blocks for every cell in your body, which requires these crucial components to grow, develop and maintain health.* These fatt…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- What are the benefits of coconut oil and virgin coconut oil? ?
- Q: Hi! I’m Racquel. BSE student.These are some of the information in my research.Read the facts below to discover why the Coconut Oil is now referred to as the “Healthiest Oil in the World” because of its unique health-giving properties. Studies demonstrate that of all fats and oils, coconut oil is not only nutritious, but has the most health benefits. FACT No.1: Coconut oil is the best and richest natural source of the immune-boosting lauric acid among all the vegetable oils. Among the vegetable oils traded in the world, coconut oil is the best and richest natural source of lauric acid which makes up about 50 percent of its healthy fat content. All other vegetable oils are completely deficient in this. Lauric Acid, an important component of breast milkis also the primary saturated fatty acid found in coconut oil. Lauric Acid is the most important essential fatty acid in building and maintaining the body’s immune system and has a powerful antimicrobial effect that can kill a wide variety of infectious organisms. Among the saturated fatty acids, lauric acid has the maximum anti-viral activity. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid (MCFA), which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the body. Monolaurin is the anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-protozoal monogllyceride used by humans or animals to destroy lipid coated viruses, such as HIV, herpes, influenza and pathogenic bacteria. FACT No.2: Coconut oil is rich in plant-based, healthy type of good saturated fats which is very different from the animal-based saturated fats. Coconut oil has no cholesterol. Coconut oil is rich in plant-based, healthy type of saturated fats. It is 92 percent highly saturatedfat. Not all saturated fats are created equal. Just like polyunsaturated fats which are sub classified into omega 3, omega 6 and omega 9, saturated fats are also sub-classified into short chain, medium chain and long chain. The dramatic differnce is with the fatty acid composition and is fully documented by years of scientific research. In contrast with animal fats (long chain fatty acids-LCFA) which contain cholesterol, coconut oil, which is from the plant-based source has no cholesterol. The fatty acids of coconut oil (medium chain fatty acids-MCFA) are easily assimilated – they are not stored in tha body like animal fats. There are good fats and bad fats. Our diet needs to include the good tyoe of fats such as the saturated fats from coconut oil as they play an important role in our body chemistry. Sixty percent (60%) to eighty percent (80%) of our brain tissue and our nervous system are made of very rich complex of fats. we can live without the bad fats from red meat or animals, but good fats, such as the fats from plant-based coconut oil and fats from fishes like salmon and sardines are essentilaal for good health. We dont necessarily need a low fat diet. we need a good fat diet. Goods saturated fats, such as from the plant-based coconuts, enhance the immune system. The fats around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat ion times of stress. Saturated fats also protect the liver from toxic effect of alcohol and drugs. Fifty percent (50%) of cell membranes also constitue saturated fatty acids. It gives our cells necessary firmness and integrity. Saturated fats also play a vital role in the health of bones. At least 50 percent of dietary fats need to be saturated for calcium to be effectively incorporated in the skeletal structure. FACT No.3: Coconut oil is composed predominantly of the health-boosting Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA). Coconut Oil is unique. It is unlike most other dietary oils. The secret behind coconut oil is that it is composed predominantly of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA’s) or Medium chain triglycerides (MCT). It is the MCFA’s which give it its remarkable nutritional and medicinal properties. Coconut oil has the most or largest concentration of MCFA’s (64%) compared with the other oils and fats. The majority of the fats in our diet, whether they are saturated or unsaturated comes from the plant or animal, are composed of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA’s). Soybean oil, corn oil,canola oil, olive oil lard, and chicen fat as well as most all other fats and oils in our diet, are composed entirely of LCFA’s. Some 98 to 100 percent of the fat you eat each day consists of LCFA’s. Long chain fats take longer to digest and will tend to to be stored as stubborn fat you can’t get rid of . The medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA’s) from coconut ol have completely different effect on us than do the long -chain fatty acids that are more commonly found in our food.
- A: Coconut oil is the best oil to cook with, even better than olive oil, because the fatty acids don’t turn to trans fat when heated.It also contains Caprylic Acid which is great for killing candida, the pesky yeast that causes yeast infections and thrush.I know a few people that have lost weight using coconut oil, the medium chain fats can speed up your metabolism. Which is why it is recommended for hypothyroidism.