As we age the collagen which keeps our skin taunt and firm begins to breakdown, which causes the appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin. These signs of aging normally don’t start to occur until after age 35. However premature aging and wrinkles can still occur. This is due to stress, toxins, sun exposure, weight gain, disease and damaging free radicals. To minimize the affects of these stressors on the skin you need to eat foods loaded with antioxidants to counteract the damage of free radicals, which cause cellular damage and disease. Proper nutrition prevents signs of premature aging, wrinkles and sagging skin. So throw out all of your skin creams, anti-aging lotions and moisturizers that promise to reverse your skins signs of aging. Fill up your refrigerator with foods that are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to not only protect it from aging but to keep it looking soft, healthy and youthful. Don’t wait until you start to notice fine lines and wrinkles on your skin, consume these foods now to prevent them from ever appearing.
1. Pineapple– Pineapples are great for the skin. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes, which cleanses the skin, reduces wrinkles, and treats acne. Applying pineapple directly to the skin or consuming it on a daily basis can soften and heal the skin, leaving the skin supple. As a fruit, pineapple contains 85% water, vitamins B1, B2, B12, C, carotene, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iodine, manganese, and bromelain. Bromelain is a composition of enzymes, which has anti-inflammatory properties that reduces swelling and redness on the skin. Bromelain is touted for most of pineapples anti aging and skin care benefits. But whichever way you use pineapple it will improve the quality of your skin.
2. Papaya– Along with pineapple, papaya is a valuable fruit for fighting against wrinkles and blemishes. Papaya is rich in vitamin A, E, C enzymes, and antioxidants, which clean the skin of dirt, acne, and dark spots, and moisturizes it giving the skin a clean and clear complexion. However the component that papaya is most well known for is papain. Papain is a proteolytic enzyme, which promotes skin renewal and cellular turnover. When dead skin cells slough off it reveals new, fresh cells underneath leaving the skin glowing and firm. Although, cellular turnover normally takes 30 days, when you use papaya it helps to exfoliate the skin revealing new, softer cells. Papain removes wrinkles and smoothes out skin because new cells contain collagen, which keeps it healthy, youthful and taunt. Papaya can be eaten or mashed up to be used in a facemask or scrub.
3. Lemon-Lemons have been used for a long time in the kitchen, for decoration for cleaning and as a beauty aid. Lemon juice is acidic which exfoliates that skin, thereby reducing wrinkles. When applied to the skin lemon removes dead skin cells on the outer layer, leaving fresh, softer, newer skin cells beneath. Lemons are great for cleansing the skin and can also dry out acne. Lemons are full of vitamin C, a necessary antioxidant involved in collagen formation. Lemons provide the skin with the needed vitamin C to keep it strong, smooth, elastic and wrinkle resistant. Avoid applying lemon or lemon juice directly to the skin always dilutes it to avoid stinging or burning due to its astringent properties.
4. Avocado– Avocadoes are a great fruit that prevents and reduces the effects of premature aging such as wrinkles. Avocados are rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, B, E, potassium, lutein and antioxidants. Avocados are rich in health fats called monounsaturated fats, which smooth and plump the skin. The natural oils within avocadoes are similar to skin s natural oils, which moisturize, soothe and heal the skin. By strengthening and nourishing the skin avocados prevent wrinkles from forming on the skin. Avocadoes can be added to many food dishes but if you don’t like the taste of them the creamy texture of ripe avocadoes work great for facial masks.
5. Green apple- Green apples are an unlikely fruit compared to the list of wrinkle reducing foods. Green apples have a slightly sour taste, which comes from its components malic acid. Malic acid is a gentle exfoliation, which is used in chemical peels. It removes the top layer of skin along with the appearance of wrinkles and reveals smooth, refreshing, glowing, healthy skin underneath. Green apples are also rich in antioxidants, vitamins A, B, C, E, quercetin and the fiber pectin. All of these nutrients rejuvenate and nourish the skin cells. Green apples have also been known to prevent blemishes and help get rid of acne scars on the skin. Green apples can be eaten on a daily basis or used as a facial scrub or mask.
6. Tomatoes– Tomatoes are no new competitor to the skin care world. Tomatoes contain a plant antioxidant chemical called lycopene, which are its source to help skin stay supple, youthful, and wrinkle free. Lycopene reduces skin cell damage and redness to reverse the skins aging process. Tomatoes have cooling elements to sooth raw skin, along with astringents to remove excess oils. They are also loaded with vitamin C, A, B, and E. With all these antioxidants tomatoes boost collagen production, while neutralizing harmful molecules to keep skin from premature aging. To increase the amount of lycopene content serve tomatoes with healthy fats such as olive oil, avocadoes, etc. or use a tomato paste applied directly to the skin.
7. Blueberries-Blueberries are considered a super food because they are filled with essential nutrients such as antioxidants, phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Due to its nutrient content blueberries have beneficial effects on the body and skin. Blueberries strengthen collagen formation, enhance blood flow and reduce the signs of aging. Blueberries contain anthocyanins, which give them their color and outstanding health benefits. Anthocyanins are powerful antioxidants, which protect the skin from premature aging. They prevent long-term cell damage, by fighting free radicals from environmental aggressors. Blueberries also have anti-inflammatory properties, which repair and protect the skin form damage. Consuming blueberries will make the skin smoother, softer, healthier and younger looking.
Sarah Labdar, “Reduce Premature Aging Through Foods That Fight Wrinkles”, Better Health