How long do tetanus shots last
It is recommended that you get a tetanus booster every ten years. However, if you should incur an injury that is considered a risk for tetanus during the last 5 years of that 10 year interval, you should have another booster at the time of injury. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/how-long-do-tetanus-shots-last ]
More Answers to “How long do tetanus shots last“
- The use of tetanus shots dates back to the early 1900s when the vaccine was created from a “toxoid,” or inactive toxin. Later development of the tetanus shot introduced a diphtheria toxoid that…
- If you never had a tetanus injection as a child then you need to have three tetanus shots in total to provide full immunity. You had the first one a month ago. The second one comes 4-8 weeks after the first and the third one comes 6-12 mont…
- About 5-10 years
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- how long does tetanus shots last?
- Q: ok heres the thing… i stepped over a rusty nail a month ago and then i got my immunoglobulin and tetanus shots the same day.. then i got my finger stabbed with a stapler… so how long does the tetanus injection last?what if for example i never had tetanus injection when i was a kid….does it affect anything?
- A: If you never had a tetanus injection as a child then you need to have three tetanus shots in total to provide full immunity. You had the first one a month ago. The second one comes 4-8 weeks after the first and the third one comes 6-12 months after the second.So at present, your immunity to tetanus is partial. I’d suggest seeing a doctor about getting the second tetanus shot now. I wouldn’t imagine that a second dose of tetanus immunoglobulin would be needed at this time since you’ve already had one tetanus shot recently and a stapler wound is pretty clean. Nonetheless, see what your doctor thinks about this.Once you’ve finished your primary series of three tetanus shots, you’re good. You’d only need a booster shot if you got a wound more than 10 years after the third shot (this spacing is reduced to 5 years for wounds that are grossly contaminated with soil or feces or saliva).
- How long does a tetanus shot last in a horse?
- Q: If a tetanus shot lasts 10 years in a human why doesn’t it last that long in a horse?? Or does it and the vets tell you different?
- A: this is a guess hopefully its right around 3 years
- is it possible i have tetanus? how long do tetanus shots last?
- Q: I was changing out the wheel bearings on my 15 year old Trans Am and while removing one of the bolts with an Air gun, one of the bolts sliced into my finger (i was pressing the trigger and the washer part of the bolt spun into my finger at several hungred RPMS i’m sure). the bolt was pretty rusty but I did spray it down with a rust penetrant minutes before… It sliced kind of deep but strangely didnt bleed. After I washed it with antibacterial soap i squeeze pretty hard and managed to get a drop of blood to come out. I want to stress that it WAS deep, but or some really bizarre reason it wasn’t bleeding a lot. I know I’ve had tetanus shots almost 10 years ago if not sooner. How long are they good for? Should I be worried? I put antibiotics on it. It tingles a little bit which is a symptom of a tetanus infection but I also gotta figure that a cut is bound tingle or feel pain a little bit.
- A: Make sure it bleeds a lot then squeeze it, it’s of course to late now. Then clean it with hot soapy water them an astringent and then to be sure if you want get a tetanus shot every two years.