Is oxycontin synthetic heroin
Oxycodone is a white, odorless crystalline powder derived from the opium alkaloid, thebaine. Thanks for using ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/is-oxycontin-synthetic-heroin ]
More Answers to “Is oxycontin synthetic heroin“
- Is Oxycontin a synthetic heroin?
- No OxyContin is not synthetic heroin. That expression is used sometimes but it is not only wrong but illogical. Codeine and Morphine are both natural are the primary occurring opiates (narcotic pain killers) from raw opium (as is Thebaine, …
- Why is our gov. perscribing oxycodone (synthetic herion/morphine/…?
- Because it is a vaild way to treat severe pain. The fact that people abuse it does not make it any less effective for the people who need it. The only problem with it comes when people start abusing it. Sure they do cause dependency over ti…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- IS OXYCONTIN SYNTHETIC HEROIN??
- Q: WELL, IS IT>????
- A: It’s a lesser form of heroin, but not exactly. They both belong in the family of opiate drugs
- is Oxycontin a synthetic heroin?
- Q: a close friend is in a lot of pain because of surgery. She is now taking lots of pain meds. Oxyicontin is becoming very addictive. I am concerned. I have heard that its a synthetic herion. I told her this, but she won’t believe that her prescription drug is anything like a street drug! So my question is this, is oxyicontin a synthetic herion? Thanks
- A: No OxyContin is not synthetic heroin. That expression is used sometimes but it is not only wrong but illogical. Codeine and Morphine are both natural are the primary occurring opiates (narcotic pain killers) from raw opium (as is Thebaine, which is not used commercially). Most opiates are derived from Morphine or Codeine.Heroin is technically called diacetylmorphine. From the name you see morphine. Heroin is a semi-synthetic drug that is effectively built on morphine. The difference between the two drugs (chemically) is very small. OxyContin (Oxycodone) is also a semi-synthetic drug. Its name is derived from Codeine because Codeine and Thebaine are the ‘base’ of the chemical structure. And there are only small differences between Codeine and oxycodone. So heroin is not natural and OxyContin is not synthetic. Synthetic opiates are drugs like Methadone and Demerol.OxyContin is in the same class of drugs as heroin (opiates) and it is addictive- that is where the idea of synthetic heroin comes from. Really methadone is the closest thing to synthetic heroin. A lot of people are abusing Oxycodone. But if your friend is taking the drug as prescribed for a real medical condition she should be fine. Many drugs are addictive but only a hand full of people become addicts and addictive drugs are important in many medical treatments.
- do any of you know what oxycontin is and have you ever taken/used it?
- Q: And what are the side effects of using oxycontin.? And i heard it is synthetic heroin. Is that true?
- A: I do not know the composition of Oxycontin but I know what it does. Oxycontin is a time release version of Oxycodone which is the active ingredient. It was invented for pain relief in terminally ill patients. Terminally ill is the key phrase because a terminally ill person has no worries with addiction. Addiction is the number one side effect of Oxycontin. It is as tough to get off of as Heroin. Watch your butt with this stuff. I speak from experience.