What antibiotics are used for strep throat
Penicillin is often the first choice of antibiotic for strep throat unless you are allergic to it. Examples are Amoxicillin, Amoxil, Cephalexin, Keflex, or Erythromyacin. They can also give you a penicillin shot, but it doesn’t work any faster. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-antibiotics-are-used-for-strep-throat ]
More Answers to “What antibiotics are used for strep throat“
- What Antibiotic Is Used For Strep Throat?
- Pinicillian is used for lot of things. You need to contact your dr
- How to Cure Strep Throat
- Does it hurt to swallow? A sudden, severe sore throat is the hallmark of a strep infection! Caused by streptococcus bacteria, it affects one in three school kids each year and accounts for 10% of…
- What Antibiotic is used to Treat Strep Throat in Adults??
- Strep throat is a common name for A Streptococcal – sore throat that is caused by Group A Streptococcus bacteria. It is an infection of the mucous membranes that line the throat. These bacteria may also affect the tonsils, a condition known…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Which type or brand of antibiotics are usually used for strep throat?
- A: It depends on if, you actually have strep or not. And what symptoms you have with it. strep will look like littel tiny white dots on the back of your throat. they will perscribe antibiotics. Antibiotics will reduce the time you are contagious. You are usually not contagious 24 to 48 hours after starting antibiotics. Antibiotic treatment for strep throat can also help prevent some of the rare complications related either to the strep infection itself or to the body’s immune response to the infection. Complications of strep throat are rare but can occur, especially if strep throat is not properly treated. Antibiotics may be used in the following situations:You have had a positive rapid strep test or positive throat culture. You have three of the following signs or symptoms: A recent feverWhite or yellow spots or coating on the throat or tonsilsSwollen or tender lymph nodes on the neckAbsence of signs of a cold or other upper respiratory illness, such as coughing or sneezingYou have recently had rheumatic fever and have been exposed to strep. Preventive antibiotics may be given in some cases. Several family members are having repeated strep infections as confirmed by positive throat cultures. Antibiotics such as penicillin, cephalexin, or amoxicillin are used to treat strep throat infection. As well as erythromicin.
- Can I get totally rid of strep throat using herbal remedies instead of antibiotics?
- Q: I am almost positive that I have strep throat. I do not like to take antibiotics unless they are absolutely necessary. Will herbal remedies like colloidal silver or olive leaf extract get rid of this stuff?
- A: well as they said, strep throat is nothing to mess with..if using olive leaf extract be sure to use a good organic tincture like herbpharm I have read that gargling and drinking and sipping raw apple cider vinegar in water (I add seas salt) will cure a strep throat but you gargling, sip and swallow all day long with coffee or tea you are sipping on all dayBut up to you if you want to try it..I am just passing on what I read..I did use it once for what I thought was a strep throat with good results but was not absolutely diagnosed with strep throat (but I think others had it around me)If it was me and I was dead set against antibiotics or could not afford them, I would use the vinegar, lots of raw garlic, organic olive leaf extract 60 drops maybe 7 times day or even more, grapefruit seed extract and colloidal silver.I would also take Dr Richard shulze’s supertonic found on the our products page (scroll down at the bottom) at herbdoc.com or make it yourself.I will go get the directions and be back soon..easy to make
- the effects of over-using penicillin, an antibiotic commonly used for strep-throat?
- Q: I’ve been getting a lot of strep-throat infections once every 3-weeks to every month in the back-wall of my throat, and they keep re-occurring. are there any side effects to over using penicillin, like drug resistance?*edit* I always finish all my antibiotics, as directed by my doctor.also, would the strep throat bacteria not become drug resistant if I were to change antibiotics?
- A: Antibiotic resistance is more and more common. My son used to get strep, get treatment with penicillin, and then in three to four days after finishing the medicaton get it again. The doctor finally put him on sulfa and he has never had strep again.