What are some anti depressant medicines
Lexapro is one of them. There is Zoloft as well. Effexor, Symbalta are a couple more. Thanks, ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-are-some-anti-depressant-medicines ]
More Answers to “What are some anti depressant medicines“
- What Happens If You Take Cold Medication If You Are Taking Anti D…?
- The only thing to be careful of is the alcohol content. Most anti depressants have negative reactions to alcohol.
- How do I wean myself off of my anti-depressant medication, so I c…?
- As stated earlier, you must first wean yourself off of anti-depressant medication (Effexor, Klonopin, Prozac etc.), the following should aid with that: We recommend using our PureCalm formula to help wean yourself off other prescription med…
- Should You Take Anti Depression Medication
- So you need anti depression medication? Just because you go throught times of feeling sorry for yourself and depressed for a few days does not mean that you have depression. Depression is a very distressing condition that can remain for mo…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Is there any anti-depressant medicine that you can buy without going to the doctor? or any home remedies?
- Q: Is there any anti-depressant medicine that you can buy without going to the doctor? Or is there any home remedies for depression??
- A: Get some Fish Oil capsules at WalMart (also good for the heart/brain/arthritis) or the herb St. John’s Wort (WalMart or may have to go to an herb shop). Either of these will help mild to moderate depression; however, if either of these do not help you…get to the doctor for more serious depression. Not all depressions are alike or for the same reasons. Take some walks/exercise/watch funny movies/laugh with a friend on the phone…you’d be surprised how it helps you through and back into action.
- Is it okay to mix vitamin B complexes with Citalopram anti-depressant medicine?
- Q: I’m on the anti-depressant medicine Citalopram and was wondering if it’d be alright to mix with Vitamin B complexes? Like taking one in the morning and one in the evening.
- A: you may want to check with your pharmacist for the best answer. this is what they go to school for.
- Do anti depressant medicines take away the urge for sex and do they change the cycle of menstrual periods?
- A: Antidepressants and Sexual DysfunctionFrom Nancy Schimelpfening,Your Guide to Depression.FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!Tips to Reduce Sexual Side EffectsOne of the great ironies of depression treatment is that while depression can rob you of your desire for sex, the drugs that treat it can be much worse, causing not only low libido, but also erectile dysfunction and difficulties with orgasm. The following are some tips that you may wish to discuss with your doctor that can help restore you sex life. 1. Reduce Your Dose Under the supervision of a physician, it may be possible to lower your dose enough to reduce sexual side effects while still obtaining depression relief. For example, it has been shown that for some people 5-10 mg of Prozac may be just as effective as the standard 20 mg dose. 2. Schedule Your Dose Right After Sexual Acitvity With certain drugs, such as sertraline and clomipramine (brand names Zoloft and Anafranil), it may be possible to schedule your daily dose right after the time you would normally expect to engage in sexual activity, when the drug’s level in your body would be at its lowest. For example, if you normally have sex at night, schedule your daily dose near that time and take it just after sex. 3. Augment With a Drug That May Reduce Dysfunction Case reports and small clinical studies have found the following to be potentially helpful in counteracting sexual dysfunction: Amantadine, Bupropion, Buspirone, Cyproheptadine, Dextroamphetamine, Pemoline and Yohimbine. Your doctor may suggest taking the drug prior to sexual activity or may put you on a daily regimen. 4. Take a Drug That Treats Sexual Dysfunction Drugs targeted at erectile dysfunction, such as Viagra, may help some patients. 5. Take a “Drug Holiday” With the drugs sertraline and paroxetine (brand names Zoloft and Paxil) it may be possible to schedule a two day drug holiday each week in order to restore sexual function without losing the efficacy of the antidepressant. 6. Switch to an Antidepressant That Causes Fewer Side-Effects Nefazodone and bupropion (brand names Serzone and Wellbutrin) have been shown in double-blind studies to have less effect on sexual function than SSRIs. If either of these have an adequate antidepressant effect for an individual patient they may be a viable treatment alternative to reduce sexual side effects.What are antidepressants?Antidepressants are medicines used to help people who have depression. Most people with depression get better with treatment that includes these medicines.Return to topHow do antidepressants work?Most antidepressants are believed to work by slowing the removal of certain chemicals from the brain. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are needed for normal brain function. Antidepressants help people with depression by making these natural chemicals more available to the brain.Return to topHow long will I have to take an antidepressant?Antidepressants are typically taken for at least 4 to 6 months. In some cases, patients and their doctors may decide that antidepressants are needed for a longer time.Return to topWhat are the different kinds of antidepressants?Antidepressants are put into groups based on which chemicals in the brain they affect. There are many different kinds of antidepressants, including: * Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) o citalopram (brand name: Celexa) o escitalopram (brand name: Lexapro) o fluoxetine (brand name: Prozac) o paroxetine (brand names: Paxil, Pexeva) o sertraline (brand name: Zoloft)These medicines tend to have fewer side effects than other antidepressants. Some of the side effects that can be caused by SSRIs include dry mouth, nausea, nervousness, insomnia, sexual problems and headache. * Tricyclics o amitriptyline (brand name: Elavil) o desipramine (brand name: Norpramin) o imipramine (brand name: Tofranil) o nortriptyline (brand name: Aventyl, Pamelor)Common side effects caused by these medicines include dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, difficulty urinating, worsening of glaucoma, impaired thinking and tiredness. These antidepressants can also affect a person’s blood pressure and heart rate. * Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) o venlafaxine (brand name: Effexor) o duloxetine (brand name: Cymbalta)Some common side effects caused by these medicines include nausea and loss of appetite, anxiety and nervousness, headache, insomnia and tiredness. Dry mouth, constipation, weight loss, sexual problems, increased heart rate and increased cholesterol levels can also occur. * Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs) o bupropion (brand name: Wellbutrin)Some of the common side effects in people taking NDRIs include agitation, nausea, headache, loss of appetite and insomnia. It can also cause increase blood pressure in some people. * Combined reuptake inhibitors and receptor blockers o trazodone (brand name: Desyrel) o nefazodone (brand name: Serzone) o maprotiline o mirtazpine (brand name: Remeron) Common side effects of these medicines are drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea and dizziness. If you have liver problems, you should not take nefazodone. If you have seizures, you should not take maprotiline. * Monamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) o isocarboxazid (brand name: Marplan) o phenelzine (brand name: Nardil) o tranlcypromine (brand name: Parnate)MAOIs are used less commonly than the other antidepressants. They can have serious side effects, including weakness, dizziness, headaches and trembling. Taking an MAOI antidepressant while you’re taking another antidepressant or certain over-the-counter medicines for colds and flu can cause a dangerous reaction. Your doctor will also tell you what foods and alcoholic beverages you should avoid while you are taking an MAOI. You should not take an MAOI unless you clearly understand what medications and foods to avoid. If you are taking an MAOI and your doctor wants you to start taking one of the other antidepressants, he or she will have you stop taking the MAOI for a while before you start the new medicine. This gives the MAOI time to clear out of your body.Return to topWill antidepressants affect my other medicines?Antidepressants can have an effect on many other medicines. If you’re going to take an antidepressant, tell your doctor about all the other medicines you take, including over-the-counter medicines and herbal health products (such as St. John’s wort). Ask your doctor and pharmacist if any of your regular medicines can cause problems when combined with an antidepressant