What is a MAOI
MAOIs, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, are a class of prescription medications used to treat depression. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-a-maoi ]
More Answers to “What is a MAOI“
- What is a MAOI?
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor MAOIs inhibit naturally occurring enzymes in the human body. This inhibition leads to increased levels of chemicals such as the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. By slowing their metabolism, MAOIs also al…
- Is zoloft maoi?
- Zoloft is not an MAO inhibitor, but combining it with an MAOI inhibitor, whether prescription or in nutrient form, is not recommended. Adverse reactions have been reported, and the FDA has issued an advisory on this drug combination.
- Does Zoloft contain MAOI?
- No, don’t worry! Zoloft (sertraline) is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), while MAOIs are older, much less used antidepressants. If you are given an MAOI your doctor will warn you of the side effects, as they can interact da…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How long after taking a non-reversable MAOI, can you take stimulants?
- Q: If I take a non-reversable MAOI such as selegiline, how long do I need to wait before I can take a stimulant such as amphetamine? If I wait 9 days between the MAOI and the stimulant, would there still be any interaction?
- A: You need a -BARE- minimum of 14 days before you take any sort of stimulant after a nonreversible MAOI. And yes, if you take a sympathetomimetic stimulant before the enzyme is replenished, it has a good possibility of putting you into a hypertensive crisis, which could kill you.There’s no real diagnostic test for measuring MAO activity. Just wait a minimum of 14 days. At that point it’s pretty reasonable to assume function is close enough to normal to take substances that would interact. Both selegiline and amphetamine are quite potent. You really want to space those out generously.Isn’t there a doctor helping you with this? Didn’t he explain it all out?
- How long after stopping Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine) do I need to wait before I start taking an MAOI?
- Q: Descriptions say don’t take Flexeril if you have taken an MAOI in the past 14 days, but I need to know how long I should wait after I stop taking Flexeril before starting an MAOI? (To avoid interactions)
- A: 14 days off and then 14 day before doing back.
- How long does the MAOI affect of picamilon stay in my system?
- Q: I have been taking picamilon for around 2 months at doses of 200 + mg a day, and i dont want to combine with an ssri, how long do i have to wait before switching?
- A: Please specify which of the mao-inhibitors picimilon, as you call it, this agent is, as I’m not familiar with it, neither by trade or generic name, so I don’t even know if it binds covalently or not.