What is methadone used to treat
Methadone is a pain reliever and is used to treat severe pain. It’s also used to prevent withdrawal symptoms in people addicted to other drugs. ChaCha for now! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-methadone-used-to-treat ]
More Answers to “What is methadone used to treat“
- Why is methadone used to treat pain?
- With other pain medications available, it does not seem practical to use a tricky medicine like methadone to treat pain. But, unlike the other medications, methadone is unique and special. Methadone works better for pain generated by the ne…
- Can methadone be used to treat fibromyalgia?
- I practiced in a pain clinic for years, and did see methadone prescribed for fibromyalgia from time to time. It was not a cure, as it does not reverse fibromyalgia. Also, I had to use acupuncture therapy to help several people come off of m…
- Can methadone be used to treat opiate addiction?
- Yes, Methadone is used to to treat opiate addiction.
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- What are the long term segative side effects of methadone used to treat heroin addiction?
- A: None proven: The primary problem with long term Methadone is the fear factor. A patient is fearful of what side affects may be felt if I stop using. They detox over a long period of time to decrease the dose,but their minds play with the FEAR Factor. Many individuals go back to a program after being detoxed. The original policy was a 2 year program 1 year to clean up your act and another to detox out.
- Why is methadone used to treat heroin addiction when it’s also an opiate just like heroin?
- Q: Wouldn’t this be like fighting fire with fire? I don’t get it. Please enlighten me.
- A: Methadone is used to treat heroin addiction because it has been proven to be safe and effective. When methadone is properly prescribed, it is not intoxicating or sedating. Its effects also do not interfere with normal activities. Methadone is taken orally and prevents withdrawal symptoms for 24 to 36 hours. Most noteworthy would be the fact that when methadone is taken, it relieves the individual’s craving for heroin, the craving that happens to be the cause for relapse. Methadone is also medically safe, so people could still use it even for ten years straight. Coupled with therapy and counseling, methadone can help bring people back to their stable, productive lives.
- Is Methadone used to treat arthritis pain?
- Q: I’m already on Ultram and I tried a Fentynal patch, but was allergic to it.I was just wondering if they will probably try to treat my pain with Methadone next, or if you have ever heard of someones arthritis pain being treated with Methadone and if so was it helpful?I go to Physical Therapy.I am on Ultram it does not help.I have tried several no narcotic pain releivers over the past few years.Unfortunateky I have to have narcotic pain relievers.I do see a pain management doctor. She is the one that put me on the Fentynal.
- A: yeah…but try oxycontin first.,