What is the lap band
The laproscopic gastric band is used to help those severely overweight by surgically implanting a device around upper stomach. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-lap-band ]
More Answers to “What is the lap band“
- A laparoscopic adjustable gastric band, also called a lap band, is surgically implanted ring that binds the upper part of the stomach in order to reduce appetite and instigate weight loss. Lap band surgery is one of the more popular types o…
- “Lap-Band System” is the brand name of the FDA-approved, adjustable gastric band used in the procedure. Most simply, a Lap-Band is a silicone belt that goes around the top of the stomach. This results in the ability to control you…
- The term Lap Band is short for laparoscopic adjustable gastric band. It is a device that is implanted in the patient via bariatric surgery. It is designed for obese patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater. The Lap Band is an …
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How long could the lap band be inside the human body?
- A: Unless there is a problem it stays in forever. It is medical grade plastics and stuff, so your body wont even know it’s there, like a pace maker. If taken out you will more then likely regain the weight. Besides, you don’t feel it at all, with the exception of the port. If you push really hard where it is under your skin, you can feel it there. However, you have to be trying to find it.
- What’s the difference between lap band and realize band?
- Q: What’s the difference between lap band and realize band?Realize seems to tout its better online post surgery support and claims higher weight loss. But they seem to be identical medical products to me. Is there any real performance difference?
- A: From what I’ve heard, the realize band just has more support resources than the lap band, but they’re really the same, the realize band may have slightly fewer complications.
- What is the main difference between gastric bypass and lap band?
- Q: Is it possible to have lap band and then have the bypass, if necessary? How much weight can I expect to lose with lap band?Thanks for any information you give.
- A: To my knowledge, the lap banding does not cut the stomach, but merely places a tight band around one end of it to make a small pouch, reducing the room in t he stomach for food storage. The gastric bypass is more extensive and involves cutting the stomach to make a smaller container then connecting the small intestine to the smaller pouch, also reducing the room allowable for food. Weight loss will depend on how well you stick to the diet regimen afterward and any complications that may arise. It is possible to restretch the stomach to a larger size by overeating over time, so it requires quite a drastic lifestyle change. Obviously the gastric bypass involves more risk of complications. Check with your doctor about details.