What is zyprexa for
Zyprexa is a prescription medicine that is approved by the FDA for treating schizophrenia, bipolar mania. Thanks for using ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-zyprexa-for ]
More Answers to “What is zyprexa for“
- It is prescribed as an antipsychotic for bipolar and schizophrenia
- ZYPREXA is a prescription medicine that is proven effective for treating the symptoms of schizophrenia, bipolar mania, and for maintenance treatment in bipolar disorder.
- Zyprexa is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. Antipsychotic medicines are approved to treat symptoms of schizophrenia that may include hearing voices, seeing things, or sensing things that are not there, mistaken beli…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Q: i hae bipolar and mania and panic attacks. for this, the last year i have been on lithium and xanax(low dosage) today the phschchiatrist put me on zyprexa which is in the family of respidal which made me go insane. i am so scared to take this cause i dont want the same reaction. what do i do?
- A: Dear Gen, I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and have been prescribed antipsychotics such as: Zyprexa, Risperdal, Abilify and Seroquel to treat my anxiety. Yes, all these drugs are in the same family, but just because you experienced serious side effects with one of these drugs doesn’t necessarily mean you will experience the same side effects with another antipsychotic. Not everybody experiences the same side effects while taking a particular drug. For example,you had a very bad experience while taking Risperdal, but somebody else who takes it, might not experience any side effects at all. Side effects vary from person to person. Not everybody is the same. Although I am not a doctor, my advice to you would be to speak to your doctor immediately before taking Zyprexa, and tell him or her that you’re very concerned about taking this drug because you’ve had a bad experience while taking Risperdal. Don’t be afraid to ask your Psychiatrist any questions that you may have. The more information you tell him or her, the more he or she can help you.
- What is the purpose of using Zyprexa Zydis as opposed to regular Zyprexa?
- Q: Zyprexa’s website doesn’t say. I was recently put on Zyprexa Zydis 10mg for acute mania. I fell asleep within an hour and woke up cured of the mania.Zydis is an orally disintegrating tablet for those wondering.
- A: Ar is correct and Liz is wrong. Olanzapine causes significant weight gain in most people regardless of how it is taken.Zydis has several advantages.- it works fast (aka sit down and shut up)- it can be taken by someone NPO (no food or drink)- it can be taken with nausea and vomiting- it is a lot harder to “cheek” (hide in the mouth and spit out later, since it disolves), important in teens and some adults
- How long does it take Zyprexa to start working?
- Q: My brother was prescribed Zyprexa a few days ago and I’m just wondering if it’s supposed to start working immediately, or if it’s one of those medications that takes like a month to get in the system.Does anyone know?
- A: I worked in an AFC home. Zyprexa is usually used for psycological issues. Lets just say when taking our residents off the drug we ‘weened’ them off it….Slowly lowering the dose for two weeks before stopping consumption. I also know that when we started giving zyprexa we had to wait two weeks before we saw ‘continuous’ reults. I’m sure some effects can be seen as early as 24 hours but I would wait a good 2 weeks before you can see the ‘real results’ of zyprexa.