What kind of antibiotics do you take for strep throat
Usually the antibiotic used for strep throat is a form of penicillin. Thanks for using ChaCha. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-kind-of-antibiotics-do-you-take-for-strep-throat ]
More Answers to “What kind of antibiotics do you take for strep throat“
- Is there any kind of over the counter antibiotic for like sore th…?
- Naturopaths & older people who know these cures, have told me this, and they work for me. Gargle w/ salt water, don’t swallow. Also gargle w/ cider vinegar OR drink about a teaspoon of cider vinegar w/ 1 tsp. honey in a few oz. of warm …
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- What kind of antibiotics will they give me for strep throat?
- Q: What are some possibilties of antibiotics the docs might give me for a strep throat?
- A: It depends on if you are allergic to any if not then penicillin, cipro, ceftin, most antibiotics will work on strep throat maybe a nice z-pack
- What type of antibiotics are needed for a strep throat?
- Q: Will tetracycline work? I have some left over and don’t have insurance to go to a doctor to find out if I need a different kind of antibiotics. Please help my throat is in so much pain.
- A: Garlic and onions are natural antibiotics; mix up a big batch of onions or garlic and eggs or vegg.or make spagetti sauce with onions + garlic
- Why is this strep throat so freaking hard to get rid of?!? (kind of long, sorry)?
- Q: I’m a poor part-time Retail worker, have no insurance and can’t call out very much because I work for a store where I am one of the main workers. Back in March I had strep throat. I went to a CVS MinuteClinic, saw the nurse practitioner. He checked a lot of stuff, swabbed my throat and did a rapid strep test. Positive for strep. He gave me 10 days of antibiotics (Penicillin VK 500mg, taken twice per day). I actually ended up with 15 as I counted the meds later on at home. I took all of them for the 15 day period (pharmacists must have added in a little more to help out, since I had no insurance). My sores were still there even after the meds were gone.Just a few days ago, I tested positive for strep again. Now I’m on 500mg of Cephalexin for 10 days, twice a day. This time it has differed from the last. The last time I had fever, chills, and a horribly sore throat. This time I’ve had my sore throat, white patches everywhere on my tonsils and throat muscles, near-convulsive chills in previous days (no longer getting chills like that now), high fevers, and also the symptoms of a cold on top of that. Sneezing, coughing, burning sinuses, watery eyes (caused by the patches on my throat seemingly ‘pulsing’ and making my eyes water and turn very red each time), etc. For the past 3 days, I’ve had just about no voice…my vocal cords must have junk all in them.Is it true that there are two types of strep throat? Viral and bacterial? I’m not sure what to do now. I’m up writing this at 4:26. I’m off from work for the next two days, thankfully. Taking DayQuil (every 4 hours) and the Cephalexin. If I sit upright, I barely cough. If I lay down, I can’t stop coughing. So I basically can’t sleep at all. I’ve spent the better part of 2-3 hours coughing almost straight through, while laying down. Nothing comes up. My throat muscles just keep contracting or something, literally every few seconds. It’s the sores on them itching/hurting and making the muscle contract. I pressed on a white patch that looked like a pus-pocket earlier with a q-tip (it’s off to the side in the part of my throat further to the front). Where it normally wouldn’t gag me due to the location further up…I felt like I was gonna puke after I pressed on it. I have white spots on my tonsils themselves, white spots on either side of my throat and it seems that they go a bit deeper into the deeper edge of my throat.So what should I do now? Obviously I’m still taking my current meds. The white sores have become more defined since I’ve taken the meds, too. I don’t know whether to ask the guy I saw to call me in an extended prescription for Cephalexin that I’m taking now…Penicillin VK that I took before, or what. I just don’t know how to get rid of this, and apparently the rapid strep test doesn’t tell them what ‘kind’ of strep throat it is.Suggestions? No “home remedies” please. Every idiot that says “it’s just a cold” will be reported (I’ve seen people post that in other people’s questions). It’s NOT a cold/allergy/whatever. It’s a bit more serious than that. Please do not answer if you do not have sound medical knowledge to answer with a competent response. Thanks.Edit: I’ve also looked at pictures of tonsilitis…it doesn’t look like that, so it has to be strep only. While my strep is ‘recurring’…this is only the second time since years and years.
- A: Strep is not a virus, only a bacteria.A sore throat can be caused by many things, including various viruses, fungus and bacteria. But since you had a culture done, and it was positive, you definitely have the *bacterial strep infection*. Typically, pennicillin is the drug of choice for this. However, Zythromax and Clindamycin are also used for people with amoxicillin allergies. Augmentin is Amoxicillin with an added ingredient to help make it more effective for penicillin resistant germs. Sometimes to effectively get rid of an infection, you will need to take two antibiotics at the same time to completely wipe it out. When your doc does the culture, they can test the strep to see which antibiotic will be most effective for it. If you have had no improvement after taking this new antibiotic for 48 hours, you need to go back to your doc to get something else. You should see a reduction in the white spots as well as reduced fever and chills.Because the bacteria is a very tenacious one, it is very easy to reinfect yourself. You could have picked it up from where you put your toothbrush. Even if you changed your tooth brush, you still put the new one right where the old one went. (It’s human nature to put stuff where it goes) You can prevent re-infection by doing a thorough cleaning. Careful with the NyQuil and Day Quil as they both contain acetominaphin (Tylenol) which can harm your liver if too much is ingested. I find Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to be a more effective pain reliever. Chloraseptic spray is also good, as is gargling with very salty warm water.