Can you eat deli meat when you are pregnant
It’s not safe for pregnant women to eat deli meats (such as ham, turkey, salami, and bologna) or hot dogs unless the food has MORE [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/can-you-eat-deli-meat-when-you-are-pregnant ]
More Answers to “Can you eat deli meat when you are pregnant“
- Should pregnant women eat deli meats?
- There’s been an outbreak of babies amongst the food safety stalwarts in my lab . Katija delivered in June, Ben’s gonna be a daddy next month, and me, trying to keep up with the cool kids, at the end of November. Michael McCain, the presiden…
- Is it ok to eat deli meat when pregnant?
- The thing about lunch meat is, it can make you sick whether you are pregnant or not, if it hasn’t been handled properly, stored properly, or if the equipment used to cut it isn’t cleaned properly. The biggest risk is something called Lister…
- Is it safe to eat deli meats when I’m pregnant?
- It’s not safe to eat precooked meats such as deli meats, hot dogs, and pâté when you’re pregnant unless they’re heated until steaming hot. Pregnant women are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis, and newbo…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Can I eat Subway’s deli meat when I am pregnant?
- Q: I love Subway Turkey sanwiches! And I have heard that you should not eat a lot of lunch meat when you are pregnant. Is their meat ok? I am confused on what I CAN eat for lunch then. 🙁
- A: I have worked at Subway for 3 years, my husband family owns 5 of them. I still eat them. Try to get it toasted though, it is better because it kills and lysteria. Or ask the person to heat the meat up in the microwave.
- Is it okay to eat cold deli meats when you’re pregnant?
- Q: like ham and stuff? what other things can you not eat when you’re pregnant?
- A: You can eat any meats from the deli. Because those meats have not been pre-packaged and don’t carry risk of the bacteria Listeria that grows on meat once it has been packaged. You can still eat packaged meats, you just have to heat them first. Once they are heated and cooled, you can put them back in the fridge in a Ziploc bag, so you can eat them cold. You should also avoid too much tuna. 1-2 cans a week tops. Avoid unpasteurized foods like raw eggs. (cake batter, cookie dough, egg nog..etc)EDIT:One website I read said deli meats are okay and one that I read just now said even those meats need to be heated for safety. So I would just heat them all, just in case. Better safe than sorry 🙂
- I can have deli meat when pregnant if?….?
- Q: I’ve heard you need to heat it in the microwave or at least until it’s hot and would kill any listeria kicking around. Last night I made myself these zucchini pizza bites and used a few pieces, but I broiled the whole thing before eating. I’ve been wanting a grilled cheese, so I was thinking of making one using Laughing Cow cheese and ham tonight. I’m assuming if I’m cooking it on the stove to warm the bread, the meat should be hot enough? I’m probably being overparanoid, but I want to be careful.Anyone still eating deli meats?
- A: Be sure the meat is steaming hot. That is what my doctor told me. I know some people who will still eat cold deli meat while pregnant, but I’m not taking the chance. During pregnancy, your immune system is suppressed, so the bacteria you might normally just digest and overcome might make you and your baby seriously ill, or even cause miscarriage.