Is schizophrenia genetic
The prevailing theory is that schizophrenia is a brain disease. No one knows for sure if it is genetic or not. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/is-schizophrenia-genetic ]
More Answers to “Is schizophrenia genetic“
- My grandfather was in the military and died of emphisema and other complications after coming into contact with a wide variety of chemicals. My guess is that yes, it is hereditary because two of his sons have schitzophrenia and two of his g…
- i have schizophrenia plus on both sides of my family.current medical thinking is it is highly likely but i believe how u are brought up and environment as well as life experiences are more important also current medication and therapies are…
- It has long been known that schizophrenia runs in families. People who have a close relative with schizophrenia are more likely to develop the disorder than are people who have no relatives with the illness. For example, a monozygotic (iden…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- is schizophrenia genetic? Is bipolar disorder genetic? If either of them are, are there tests that can show if?
- Q: it was passed to a child or not?
- A: Dolphin is completely wrong about schizophrenia. Genetics is the “fad” in modern science and there is no definitive link between schizophrenia and heredity. The cause(s) of schizophrenia (which is not a single disorder but a spectrum of them) is not known to medical science so there can not be any test genetic or physical for schizophrenia. Diagnosis of one of the kinds of schizophrenia is a purely subjective opinion of a psychiatrist. Look up “schizophrenia” in a Yahoo! web search. Wikipedia has a good summary. Also read, John Horgan;”The Undiscovered Mind” how the human brain defies replication, medication and explanation: Free Press, N.Y. NY, 1999 to learn how little science knows about the mind and brain.Stop worrying you’re ok!
- is schizophrenia genetic to your babies in the future,what causes it?help?
- Q: if a man is schizophrenic,is it genetic to his children if he gets one?how can one get it?can it be avoided?thanks
- A: It’s carried on the X chromosome meaning a man or woman can carry it. But the chance of getting schitzophrenia is 1 in four. It’s also triggered by traumatic events that the brain just cant handle. But there’s a lot of medication available and more is being found about this condition
- With a heavy genetic history is there any way I can prevent getting schizophrenia?
- Q: With a heavy genetic history is there any way I can prevent getting schizophrenia?With a maternal grandfather,several aunts and uncles on my mothers side and now a maternal cousin all diagnosed with Schizophrenia I am worried that I may be next. Several of my family members were diagnosed in their late 30’s and 40’s.Depression and panic disorders also run in my family and 99% of my family takes some sort of anti-anxiety and anti-depressent medications.I am 27 and worried because I have strange phobias and am obsessed with washing my hands and have to line up things a certain way.I also worry someone is out to get me and opening the locks in my house.I am anti-social as well…
- A: Go to a psychiatrist or psychologist. You already have some serious disorders, such as OCD. The sooner you get help the better the prognoses. Get help but try not to worry too much as that will cause you to have symptoms just because you’re worrying about it so much.