What is a stye? How do you get it
A:A pus-filled abscess in the follicle of an eyelash; caused by a bacterial infection. ChaCha on! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-a-stye%3F-how-do-you-get-it ]
More Answers to “What is a stye? How do you get it“
- What is a stye? How do you get it?
- (m) stye (also spelled sty) or hordeolum is an inflammation of the sebaceous glands at the base of the eyelashes. They are harmless but can be very painful. They are generally caused by a Staphylococcus bacteria infection. They are particul…
- How to get rid of a stye?
- Most stys will clear up in a few days. Try using a warm, wet compress on the eye to help bring the infection to a head faster. Once it opens, you may want to use a little antibiotic cream on the sty.
- Why do people get stye on their eyes?
- Stye is most commonly found in eyes because a stye is caused by oil-clogged pores and your eyes are the easiest to clog. ESPESSIALLY for girls because if they use someone else’s eyeliner, then their eyes’ oil will get in yours and the oil w…
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- What is a stye and how do you get rid of them?
- Q: I have a growth under my eye that came up it kind of looks like a little mole or wart like thing but the end of it is dry. Someone said it was a stye. Why do you get these? How can I get rid of it?
- A: A stye or hordeolum is an inflammation of the sebaceous glands at the base of the eyelashes. They are harmless but can be very painful. They are generally caused by a Staphylococcus bacteria infection. Treatment :Most styes will drain on their own though this may be accelerated with a hot or warm compress. Styes typically resolve within 1 week with treatment. Medical professionals will sometimes puncture a particularly persistent or irritating stye with a needle, to accelerate its draining. Their spread or expansion can also be fought with the use of antibiotic ointment akin to Neosporin (e.g. Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment), a special version being available for styes, which can be applied in a ribbon along the lid, on either inside or out.Various folk remedies call for holding a metal or wooden spoon against the stye  or the rubbing of a gold ring on the stye
- How do you get rid of a stye (on your eye)?
- Q: I have a small stye on my eye and I think it actually might have spread to my other eyelid as I was doing my makeup this morning. What can I do so that 1) it doesn’t get any worse and 2) it heals quickly.ALSO — I’m fine with wearing glasses instead of contacts for awhile, but I can’t do my makeup without contacts. I am nearly blind, honestly. What should I do? Is it okay to wear contacts for short periods of time?
- A: Well I was told that you should rub a gold wedding ring on the stye to get rid of it. It’s an old wives tale but worth a try.Not sure bout the contacts though. Sorry
- How to prevent a stye?
- Q: I am always getting styes and sometimes they take forever to go away! How do I prevent styes from coming on? And when is it too late to keep using my make up because it gets expensive to have to keep replacing it. I have contact lenses and wonder what to do about those, too. And can you get a stye on your upper lid, too, because I have one right now! Thanks!
- A: I was the same way!First of all, realize that although some eye related issues are chronic, a lot of times WE are the main cause and if we made some simple life changes, we would save ourselves a lot of time money and discomfort!Yes, you can get a stye on your upper lid. You can get on in or out of your eye. I first started getting them when I was really young and I am in my twenties and had one about six months ago. Its safe to say I get tthem twice or so a year, one thats mild and one that I am absolutely miserable with!You need to take AMAZING CARE OF YOUR EYES, THEY ARE THE ONLY PAIR YOU HAVE. I put that in all caps so hopefully it jumps out at you. Dont sleep with your makeup on. Do make sure you are cleaning your makeup off each night. Dont touch your eyes or rub them throughout the day. Youd be surprised how often people do this without realizing. Wash your hands OFTEN! keep a little bottle of antibacterial liquid in your purse and apply it a few times and hour. If you accidentally touch your eye, it will probably be a lot safer than it was had you not applied the liquid.Your contacts can be a BIG REASON for why you are getting styes. I used to sleep in mine, and wear them sometimes for a month without taking them out or cleaning them..bc i never paid attention to them and i didnt think it mattered. You wouldnt believe the gross stuff that can accumulate on yoru contacts in just a days time that is invisble to to the untrained eye. PLEASE make sure you are keeping these clean!!If you are like me and apply a night moisturizer, avoid the eye area. You dont want silky lotion on your eyelashed, producing more oil around the lid area.As far as makeup is concerned, yes it is expensive to replace hun but you only have one set of eyes, please keep this in mind. I dont throw out foundation or eyeshadow, but mascara and eyeliner ALWAYS GO in the trash. Chanel or Loreal, doesnt matter..it is going buh-bye.. my eyesight is worth more than twenty bucks..and yours is too!