For Elvis Presley fans, number 35 means a great deal this year.
It means when August 16 rolls around, it will be the 35th anniversary of his death. It will be a solemn remembrance and a genuine celebration of his life as well.
But, before we jump that far ahead, Graceland has plenty in store. And it all begins with his annual birthday celebration in January.
With what is being called, “The 35th Anniversary Year of Elvis,” it promises Elvis’ fans a year-long celebration of his life and legacy.
Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc. has released information regarding the events. They note, “it will kick off in Memphis during the King of rock ‘n roll’s annual birthday celebration held Thursday, Jan. 5 – Sunday, Jan. 8, followed by The Elvis Cruise from Jacksonville, Fl, to Nassau, Bahamas on Jan.6-12. Events will continue through Elvis Week 2012 in August, which is expected to draw 75,000 fans from around the world, making the pilgrimage to Memphis to visit Graceland and take part in a week-long event that celebrates the music icon.”
Elvis’ birthday is Jan. 8.
Meanwhile, new events have been announced.
– “Elvis on Tour” opens to the public on Jan. 5. The exhibit celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Golden Globe award-winning documentary of the same name.
– “Elvis: Through His Daughter”s Eyes” will open on Feb. 1, which is Lisa Marie Presley’s birthday. It will highlight the relationship between Elvis and his only child.
– The largest exhibit launching during the 35th Anniversary year will be “Icon: The Influence of Elvis Presley.” It opens March 1. It will feature artifacts on loan from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
– “Elvis Presley In Concert,” a production that reunites former Elvis band mates live on stage with a state-of-the art video-projected Elvis. This, which has been on tour in the past, returns in March. It is slated for a 16-date tour. It will wind through Europe. Locations announced so far include London, Paris, Dublin, Zurich and Frankfurt, in addition to Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Brazil event will coincide with the opening of the International Elvis Exhibition.
– “ELVIS LIVES: The Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Event” will leave on a 29 city U.S. tour and feature finalists from “The Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest.”
– Licensed Elvis festivals will be taking place all over the world in 2012. From Elvis’ birthplace in Tupelo, Miss. to Canada, the UK, Germany and Australia, fans will be gathering to celebrate Elvis Presley this year.
– Then comes Elvis Week in August. Fans from around the world will gather at Graceland in Memphis from Friday, Aug. 10 through Saturday, Aug. 18. It culminates with the pilgrimage known the world over. It is the annual Candlelight Vigil. This is it will take place on Aug. 15.
Elvis and his influence has continued to span the globe, notes Scott Williams, Vice President of Marketing and Media for EPE. He notes, “International fan clubs that normally bring 50 or 100 fans to Memphis for Elvis Week have told us they are bringing 500 or more in 2012.”
“And thanks to the growth of social networking, fans will be able to join us online making this the biggest celebration of Elvis in history,” he added.
Source: Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc.