Do smokers have bad immune systems
Yes, smoking interferes with the immune system. Smokers are more prone to getting chronic diseases, flu, and viral illnesses than are nonsmokers. Pregnant women who smoke have smaller-sized babies and have higher rates of premature babies. ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/do-smokers-have-bad-immune-systems ]
More Answers to “Do smokers have bad immune systems“
- Does smoking a pipe or cigars effect your immune system for good …?
- No there is no medical evidence that it does. Especially since pipe and cigar smokers don’t inhale. I have never thought a cold was due to me smoking a pipe.
- Does smoking marijuana help you have a better immune system?
- Marijuana may alter immune function in people, but the jury is still out on whether it hurts or helps. More ChaCha anytime!
- How does smoking affect the immune system?
- What is Glutathione? Glutathione is your body’s master antioxidant. It is a small protein produced naturally in our cells when certain vital elements are present. It functions both as an antioxidant and an antitoxin and is a major defense …
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Can cigarette smoke weaken your immune system if you are not use to being around it?
- Q: I was around, at the minimum, 4 heavy smokers for four days. When I returned home, my sinuses flared up pretty bad. I do have allergies but this came on quickly. Do you think it has anything to do with the cigarette smoke I was exposed to?
- A: There are many things that weaken your immune system, and cigarette smoke is a toxin that will effect your health.If interested, Here are some other things that weaken the immune system.1) Toxins: Most people today have excess accumulation of toxins and waste material in their bodies causing their body to be acidic and adding stress to their immune system function. The two main reasons for this isa) People are putting huge amounts of toxins (mostly unknowingly) in their bodies on a regular basis andb) their elimination channels are clogged, slow or sluggish.c) toxins like “junk” food, medications(drugs), sugars, excess alcohol, allergens all stress your immune system, thus making it weak and unable to fight the germs when exposed to them. 2) Nutritional Deficiency:When your body lacks nutrition, you will have a weak immune system.Since our bodies can not produce nutrients needed for optimal health, quality food plays a major factor in keeping our cells healthy and our immune system strong. Food not only provides energy to your body, but all the nutrients that are essential for a healthy immune system.3) Lack of drinking healthy water:Dehydration means the cells just simply do not have enough fluid. Dehydration cause medical problems including pain, arthritis, asthma, and allergies, among other medical issues. It can affect your energy and your sleep, and the ability to get toxins/waste material out of the body.4) Lack of physical activity:Lack of regular, moderate exercise appears to slow down cleansing the body of certain toxins and waste products4) Lack of sufficient rest:lack of sleep will stress your immune system and thus increase the risk of catching a bug.The good news is that I think you can help control or reverse your condition by doing as many as possible of the following list.5) Chronic stressPeople who are under chronic stress have lower than normal white blood cell counts, are more vulnerable to colds and other viruses and take longer to recover from them. They are more likely to experience more severe symptoms than people who are not under a great deal of stress.If interested in ways to boost your immune system, go to the website in the source box.
- If I have very severe bronchitis and ive only smoked for two years do you think I will get cancer?
- Q: im twenty if i keep smoking and i have a bad smokers cough smoking two years what are my chances of getting cancer in my life sooner or later. Am I going to die at age 40? I have a very good immune system, does that benefit me in anyway?
- A: HIGH!!!!!! If that doesn’t happen you can develop a slow painful, suffocating death called COPD!!! day by day your lungs close until you are put on oxygen, then you die. Yellow nails, yellow teeth, yellow eyes, means lack of oxygen, visit american heart associaton.
- after reading this, do you still think its as bad as you thought?
- Q: marijuana facts.its not as bad as you thought.1. marijuana does NOT impair short-term memory.”Any impairment of short-term memory disappears when one is no longer under the influence of marijuana.”2. you can die from marijuana overdoes.true but NO ONE has ever died from it. “In other words, to overdose, you would have to consume 40,000 times as much marijuana as you needed to get stoned. In contrast, the ratio for alcohol varies between 1 to 4 and 1 to 10. It is easy to see how upwards of 5000 people die from alcohol overdoses every year and no one EVER dies of marijuana overdoses.”3. marijuana does not cause brain damage.”Actual studies of human populations of marijuana users have shown no evidence of brain damage. For example, two studies from 1977, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed no evidence of brain damage in heavy users of marijuana.”4. marijuana does not lead to use of harder drugs.”The Dutch partially legalized marijuana in the 1970s. Since then, hard drug use-heroin and cocaine-have DECLINED substantially.”5. marijuana does not damage the reproductive system.”Studies of actual human populations have failed to demonstrate that marijuana adversely affects the reproductive system.”6. use of marijuana does not cause more car crashes.”when used to intoxication, does impair performance in a manner similar to alcohol, actual studies of the effect of marijuana on the automobile accident rate suggest that it poses LESS of a hazard than alcohol.”7. marijuana is not more dangerous that tobacco.” however, that a heavy tobacco smoker consumes much more tobacco than a heavy marijuana smoker consumes marijuana.”8. marijuana does not suppress the immune system.”Interestingly, two studies done in 1978 and one done in 1988 showed that hashish and marijuana may have actually stimulated the immune system in the people studied.”http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.htmlthis is not a rant.
- A: Do not know, have never used it, never had the inclination to try drugs and now my Doctors have problems with me taking prescribed drugs. Best of Luck